ISGAN proudly looks back at numerous highlights and achievements in 2019. The activities of ISGAN are organized in Annexes. In contrast to other IEA TCPs, these Annexes are standing working groups that continuously work on Smart Grids-related topics and regularly update their plans and objectives for the upcoming year at the spring meetings of the Executive Committee.
Of particular importance were events and workshops which attracted a very high level of interest both within ISGAN and externally.
- Activities during CEM 10
- ISGAN and Mission Innovation (MI) Innovation Challenge 1 on Smart Grids (IC1) co-organized the first joint CEM/ISGAN/MI IC1 forum on Cooperation to Accelerate Smart Grid Market Uptake , a full-day CEM10/MI-4 side event on 29 May 2019 at the Vancouver convention center. There, ministers from over 25 countries gathered to accelerate progress toward a clean energy future.
- Award ceremony announcing the winning project of the 2019 ISGAN Award of Excellence.
- Highly recognized public workshops back-to-back with ExCo meetings
- Stockholm: Public Workshop in cooperation with the Swedish Energy Agency and the Swedish Smart Grid Forum: “The future of electricity markets in a low carbon economy”, 2 April 2019.
- Stockholm: Interdisciplinary workshop with IEA DHC TS3 and ISGAN
- Montreux: Public Workshop “Needs, challenges and opportunities of TSO-DSO coordination”
- Montreux: Open workshop “EERA Smart Grid/SIRFN workshop”
- Annex 6: Open workshop “Micro vs MEGA grids – trends influencing the development of the power system
- Thematic knowledge exchange events (KTP)
- Experimental Sandboxes for Smart Grids, Stockholm, 2019, in cooperation with the Swedish Smart Grids Forum and ICER International Confederation of Energy Regulators. This event was cooperatively organized by ISGAN Annexes 2, 4, 7 and 8.
- Focus on upscaling, Montreux, 2019. This project was the third in the series of KTP workshops concerning public funding. It was organized by Annex 2 and 4.
- Development of a communication strategy and action plan
- Public Support to Smart Grid RD&I
- Development of a web-based tool using a combination of CBA and multi-criteria analysis
More details on ISGAN activities in the past year can be read in the full report available online and in print versions.