2019 Award Theme: Local Integrated Energy Systems (Smart Microgrids)
Smart microgrids are modern, small-scale versions of the centralized electricity system. They achieve specific local goals, such as reliability, carbon emission reduction, diversification of energy sources, and cost reduction, established by the community being served. Like the bulk power grid, smart microgrids generate, distribute, and regulate the flow of electricity to consumers, but do so locally. Smart microgrids are an ideal way to integrate renewable resources on the community level and allow for customer participation in the electricity enterprise.
Recognizing the critical importance and the role of smart grids sustaining a reliable and resilient grid through integration of energy systems, ISGAN has chosen “Smart Grids for Local Integrated Energy Systems (Smart Microgrids)” as the theme of the 2019 Award of Excellence.
- Eligible projects include pilot, demonstration, and deployment projects
- Please see the ‘Official Rules’ of the ISGAN Award of Excellence and detailed ‘Submission Forms’ for more information
- The international jury panel will select winning projects based on five key criteria:
- Potential impact (25pt),
- Economic rationale (25pt),
- Potential for replication or adaptation (25pt),
- Innovation (12.5pt), and,
- Other benefits (12.5pt).
- Winners will be announced during a ceremony at the tenth Clean Energy Ministerial (CEM10) in May 2019 in Canada
- Winners will be invited to participate in the ceremony for a certificate & plaque and be recognized in ISGAN products and proceedings over the following months
Timeline of Awards Competition