Annex 6 has started an activity to study these trends which are largely influencing the decisions in the evolution process of the power grids.
In this work the trends are referred to as the the micro grid and the mega grid trends, where the micro grid perspective focus on local solutions while the mega grid perspective focus on system or even intra-system wide solutions.
The objective of this work is to present a critical assessment of these trends, based on the questions:
- Does one trend outcompete the other?
- Does increased micro grid investments increase the need for mega grid investments,and vice versa?
- To what extent can micro grids benefit from mega grid solutions, and vice versa?
The intention with this work is not to proclaim one solution being superior to another, instead it is intended to provide insights in the needs of considering both perspectives in the decisionmaking process for the sustainable development of the power grids.
The work involves parties from: Norway, Sweden, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Italy, France, Canada, South Africa, and India
- 15 May 2019, Workshop Brussels: including presentations from NTNU, CIGRE and ENGIE
- 2 October 2019, Workshop Montreux: for interest see contact below
- Autumn 2019: development of activity report
How to contribute:
Contributions to this acitvity are welcome as:
Workshop participation; Input to dedicated report sections; Review of the activity report
For additional information and interest to participate in this activity, please contact:
Professor Irina Oleinikova, Irina.Oleinikova@ntnu.no
Emil Hillberg, Emil.Hillberg@ri.se